Hike Date: Saturday, June 10, 2017
(Previous Visit: Sunday, October 4, 2015)
For other routes in Castle Rock State Park, see Hike in Castle Rock State Park – Skyline to the Sea Trail.
- Castle Rock Falls – there is an observation platform
- Numerous sandstone outcrops with ‘tafoni’ formations including the Castle Rock and Goat Rock
- Panoramic views
- Russell Point
ABOUT THE HIKE
- Parking Lot: Castle Rock State Park Parking Lot. No cellular reception inside the preserve.
- Parking Fee: $8 inside the parking lot, which can get full quickly on weekends. Street parking is free, but even the street parking spots are limited.
- Restroom: Next to the parking lot/trailhead (‘A’ in the route below)
- Trailhead: Next to the parking lot
- Route (clockwise):
- Trailhead (A)
- Lower trail at the fork after the bridge, signs for ‘Campground’ / ‘Castle Rock Falls’ –> Saratoga Gap Trail (B)
- Ridge Trail (C) — turnaround point
- Stairs down after the Goat Rock –> Ridge Trail (C)
- Saratoga Gap Trail (D) — repeat of a part of ‘B’
- Route Map:
- Distance: 5.47 miles
- Time: 4 hours 12 minutes (3 hours 20 minutes in 2015)
- Elevation Gain: 1700 feet
- Exposure: Mostly shaded, some parts exposed
- Company: Friends. In all, 4 people.
ten photos from the hike
Some of the plants spotted in the park: